Athlete of the Week: Off the Field with Sydney Duven
The senior field hockey player received a scholarship to play Division I Field Hockey at Sacred Heart University.
A Freehold High School (FHS) senior will continue to represent the Colonials next year on the field hockey field.
Sydney Duven was one of the eight FHS students to receive an athletic scholarship to play at Division I University. Jerrilynn Acevedo, former FHS field hockey coach, worked with Duven for three years before becoming the Supervisor of Extracurricular Activities. At the annual FHS signing ceremony breakfast, Acevedo spoke about her memories with Duven.
“The amount of titles that we have and the amounts wins do not compare to the memories we have,” said Acevedo. “We have cried a lot, we have laughed a lot and we have had a lot of fun throughout the last three years all of which I will never forget and its been truly an honor to have coached Sydney for the last few years.”
Following the breakfast, Freehold Patch caught up with Duven to find out what she will miss the most about her FHS field hockey days.
Freehold Patch: What sport and position do you play?
Sydney Duven: I play Field Hockey and I am a midfielder
Freehold Patch: What was the highlight of your high school career?
Sydney Duven: My favorite memory from my high school career was winning the state championship title both my sophomore and junior year.
Freehold Patch: Where are you going to play Field Hockey next year?
Sydney Duven: I received a scholarship to play field hockey at Sacred Heart University.
Freehold Patch: What are you looking forward to most at Sacred Heart?
Sydney Duven: I got into the Nursing Program there so I am really looking forward to becoming a nurse.
Are you a big fan of the Colonials? You'll also want to see:
- Athlete of the Week: Off the Field with Gabrielle Romanowski
- FHS Varsity Softball Coach Gives Look Back at 2012 Season
- Athlete of the Week: Off the Field with Chelsi Bender
- VIDEO: Colonials Named Sectional Champs After Defeating Neptune in Overtime
- Unselfish Offense Keeps Colonials Advancing in NJSIAA Tournament
- Spahn Celebrates 1,000 Points as FHS Girls Basketball Advances in Tournament
- Athlete of the Week: Off the Court with Camerin Spahn
- Athlete of the Week: Off the Field with Ryan Kasten
- Freehold Student Athletes Commit to Division I Schools