Man Charged with Attempted Murder of NYPD Officer Posted Bail, Released
Robert Dunbar was released from Monmouth County Correctional Institute on Aug. 20.
Robert Dunbar, a Manalapan man accused of shooting an off-duty New York city police officer last month, posted bail on Aug. 20 and was released from Monmouth County Correctional Institute. Dunbar allegedly shot the officer after finding him in his Taylors Mills Road home with his estranged wife on Aug. 10.
According to court documents, Dunbar obtained the gun from the police officer and shot three rounds, striking the man once in the back.
Dunbar initially evaded police after the shooting, but surrendered to authorities the next day. He was arrested and placed in Monmouth County Correctional Institute on $500,000 bail with no 10 percent chase bond.
Dunbar had his initial appearance in front of Judge Ronald Reisner in Monmouth County Superior Court on Aug. 13 where he plead not guilty to five charges: attempted murder, possession of a fire arm for an unlawful purpose, aggravated assault, aggravated assault by pointing a firearm, and aggravated assault by second degree.
Reisner did not reduce Dunbar’s bail on Aug. 13.
According to Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office Director of Investigations Marc Lemieux, Judge John T. Mullaney of Monmouth County Superior Court reviewed Dunbar’s bail on Aug. 20 and ordered it to remain as set.
Dunbar posted bail that same day and was released from Monmouth County Correctional Institute. As of now there are no scheduled court appearances for Dunbar, Lemieux said. The next course of action is for the state to present the case to the Monmouth County Grand Jury. Lemieux said he assumes this will occur over the next several months.