Here is a list of 5 things you need to know today:
1. Raining: According to the National Weather Service, the extra day of the year will be wet and cold. For your leap year celebrations, there is a chance of rain and sleet before 10am, then rain throughout the rest of the day. There will be a high near 44 degrees and an east wind between 3 and 9 mph. Tonight, the rain continues with a low around 40 degrees and an east wind at 5 mph becoming west.
2. Budgeting: The adopted the tentative 2012-2013 school year budget at their regular meeting on Feb. 27. The total tentative operating budget for the 2012-13 school year will be $18,002,758. The budget from the 2011-2012 school year was $17,437,971. This is a $564,787 proposed increase, including 2 percent in taxes. Click to see how to calculate your taxes and where your money will be going.
3. Winning: The Freehold Township Committee honored the Girls’ Varsity Field Hockey team at their regular meeting on Feb. 28. The team had an outstanding 2011 season earning the Central Jersey Group IV State Championship. Click to see a photo from the meeting and check out the roster.
4. Growing: Technology has made it extremely easy for kids to use the internet to find information, do research, or to post their thoughts and ideas on social media and blogging sites. So if parents, teachers, school faculty and staff are not in tune with these advances, often the student becomes the teacher, both at home and in the classroom. That is why Superintendent of Freehold Township School District, Ross Kasun, Ed. D will host an open community forum on tonight from 7-9pm in the Gymnasium. This forum is open to all Freehold Township residents and is designed to engage parents, community members and staff in a collaborative dialogue that will help define and clarify a collective vision for the future of FTSD schools.
5. Giving: The has partnered up with the right here in Freehold. They are collecting non-perishable food items each week to help those in need. They are looking for community support. Drop off food donations in the church foyer. For more information contact at firstname.lastname@example.org or 732.780.3451 or click .