Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) expects to restore power to the majority of its 4,000 New Jersey customers without power by midnight, according to a press release issued by company spokesperson Ron Morano. Isolated, individual outages may last until Monday.
A severe thunderstorm Saturday night knocked out power to 85,000 customers, including over 40,000 in Monmouth County. Freehold Township residents were hit hardest, with nearly 10,000 residents left in the dark.
“JCP&L crews worked through the night and will continue their efforts until all power is restored,” the JCP&L release stated.
By 5:40 p.m. on Sunday, power had been restored to all but 2,846 residents in Monmouth County. Freehold Township and Freehold Borough account for over 2,200 of those currently without service.
JCP&L customers without power in Monmouth County can receive one bag of ice and two gallons of water for free at the following grocery stores:
- Acme, 3241 Route 9, Freehold
- Food Circus (Foodtown), 9 Rt. 36, Bayshore Plaza, Atlantic Highlands
- Food Circus (Foodtown), 3120 Rt. 35 & Hazlet Ave., Hazlet
- Food Circus (Foodtown), 1560 Rt. 35, Oakhurst
- Food Circus (Foodtown), 426 Rt. 36 & Wilson Ave., Port Monmouth
- Food Circus (Foodtown), 362 Broad St., Store 267, Red Bank
- Food Circus (Foodtown), 2204 Rt. 35 & Sea Girt Ave., Sea Girt
- Food Circus (Foodtown), 1732 Rt. 35 & 18th Ave., Wall
- ShopRite, Lloyd Rd. & Rt. 34, Aberdeen
- , South St. & Rt. 9, Freehold
- ShopRite, Rt. 36, Hazlet
- ShopRite, 2445 Hwy. 34, Manasquan
- ShopRite, 1361 Rt. 35, Middletown
- , 280 Hwy. 9, Morganville
- ShopRite, 2200 Hwy. 66, Neptune
- ShopRite, Rt. 35, Wall
- ShopRite, Rts. 36 & 71, West Long Branch
- , 597 Park Ave., Freehold
JCP&L makes information on outages available on its Web site.