.
News Alert
VIDEO: Jersey Shore Beach Conditions And Traffic

Ash from Wood Burning Stove Suspected of Causing Herbertsville House Fire

No injuries reported in afternoon blaze

Nobody was injured in a fire that rendered a house in the township's Herbertsville section uninhabitable Thursday afternoon.

The fire at the ranch-style home at 512 Albermarle Road, which was reported at 2:30 p.m., led to a general alarm that brought out all four of the township's fire companies, Fire Marshall Kevin Batzel said.

Batzel said the fire is officially still under investigation, but it is believed that improperly disposed-of ash from a wood burning stove is responsible for starting the fire.

The fire started outside of the home and worked its way in, Batzel said, and the homeowner later told investigators that ash from the stove had been disposed of outside the home in the morning.

Firefighters had the blaze under control in about 30 minutes, said Batzel.

The Herbertsville, Laurelton, Pioneer Hose and Breton Woods fire companies all responded, as well as the Point Pleasant Borough fire company.

Several EMS squads also responded, though there were no injuries reported.

Batzel said all local residents should ensure that heating devices such as wood burning stoves are safe for use, especially since people are more likely to use them during the current cold snap.

"Make sure that they're properly installed, and if they're in use, that they're constantly checked," he said.

lorri higgins January 25, 2013 at 01:00 PM
Was this the reason that Herbertsville Road was closed yesterday afternoon?
Stacey January 25, 2013 at 01:02 PM
The family is safe and are staying with family members right now. It is a shock and it will take a long time to recover. Keep them in your prayers.
Quah January 25, 2013 at 01:42 PM
There was a serious car accident near Double A stables also
Adinalee January 27, 2013 at 01:34 AM
I lived next door to that house when I was growing up. Beautiful house, so sad. The Herbertsville firehouse is right at the end of the street...
clamdigger January 27, 2013 at 02:16 AM
rule of thumb use to be to have a metal trash can w lid to put ashes into and leave them for at least 12 hrs. if bottom of can was cold to touch then ashes probably non flammable but still need to be checked by opening can and stirring/sifting through before disposing of in trash.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »