Monmouth County officials are not sure about what caused 65 people to fall ill at the Monday afternoon.
"We have no idea what might have caused this," said William Heine, a representitive of Monmouth County.
Police and emergency responders rushed to the Monmouth County Courthouse after it was evacuated around 1 p.m. due to multiple employees falling ill. Workers evacuated the building for the second time in two business days. The building . During that incident, 43 people were treated at the scene of the incident.
A hospital spokesperson told News 12 at least 25 people are being treated at CentraState Medical Center in Freehold Monday, where a decontamination tent is set up for patients from the courthouse.
Heine said that they tested the building for volatile chemical compounds and all results came back negative. He said tonight they will be testing the whole building for pollen, dust and mold.
The employees reportedly experienced a variety of symptoms including shortness of breath, nausea, chest pain, heart palpitation, rash and dizziness. A total of while working on the first floor of the west wing on Friday according to a press release from the county, making a total of 82.
The office of emergency management and the Monmouth EMS Task force were on the scene with a first aid bus. Marlboro, Manalapan, Freehold, Howell, Farmingdale and Monoc first aids all responded to the scene of the hazmat incident.
The west wing of the building was cleaned over the weekend after Friday's incident, but according to Heine whatever is causing people to fall ill spread throughout the building.
"What we found today is that it wasn't just limited to one area of the building where the fresh cut flowers were. It was throughout the whole building," he said.
When asked about foul play during a press conference, Heine said he doesn't think that is the cause. "Everything is on the table, but I don’t think there is any indication of that," he said.
The building will be closed tomorrow and all court cases will be rescheduled.