A 3-month-old Sato puppy found a home after the new Monmouth County SPCA Homeward Bound Adoption Center at the was open for only 20 minutes.
Katlyn Hamilton, 22, of Manasquan, is the proud new owner. “She doesn’t have a name yet, but we have a family tradition of naming our pets after Irish beers,” she said about the first pup to leave the center.
Ten minutes after Hamilton and her brother signed the adoption papers, another lucky puppy found a new best friend. And the trend continued throughout the day.
The the MCSPCA opened the doors to the adoption center at the Freehold Raceway Mall on the morning of April 26. This new center is an addition to the origional MCSPCA adoption center in Eatontown. The center took over a .
“The Freehold Mall Adoption Center is the first of its kind and allows us to be where the people are,” explained Jerry Rosenthal, MCSPCA Interim Executive Director. “It offers us the opportunity to continue to spread our message of adoption and responsible pet ownership in a place with a lot of foot traffic.”
The center features puppies and kittens who have been rescued and need a new home.
The grand opening celebrations will continue over the weekend. Below is the schedule of events:
Friday April 27, 2012
- 10:30-11:30 a.m. - MCSPCA HumaneEducation Read to the Dogs! This program will feature a pet therapy dog as stories are read aloud. Great for the Pre-K set or as a Mommy and Me treat.
- 3-5 p.m. - Animal Cops of the MCSPCA – Learn the basics of the MCSPCA Humane Law Division with Agent Ronnie Ehrenspeck and other MCSPCA Humane Law representatives.
- 6-8 p.m. - Book Signing with author Josh Dean Show Dog - The Charmed Life and Trying Times of a Near-Perfect Purebred is a funny and fascinating work of narrative non-fiction.
Saturday April 28, 2012
- 1:30-3:30 p.m. - Face Painting by Chubby Penguin Parties –
- These advocates for animal adoption will be painting animal faces and creating balloon twists.
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. Author and Pet Photographer - Kim Levin - What to Know Before You Book Fluffy's Glamour Shots! This will be a Q&A session with the local author and photographer she will have some of her work on display during this session including some books.
Sunday April 29, 2012
- 2-4 p.m. - MCSPCA Humane Education - This program is presented by the MCSPCA volunteers that run the humane education program this session will be a basic overview of the program perfect for elementary school age children. Paws for Life program will be discussed!
In addition to these events, there will hopefully be many more adoptions of new best friends. The cost of adopting a mix-bred puppy is $405, a full-bred pup is $505 and kittens are $120. When you adopt an animal from the Monmouth County SPCA it comes already neutered or spayed and with its first set of shots.
All puppies adopted at the center are also welcome back for complementary training.
Interested in volunteering for the SPCA? There are a variety of opportunities including dog walking and working at the organizations thrift shop. Click here for more information.