"Old Scots Church" was built north of Freehold in 1692, less than a decade after Presbyterians fled Scottish persecution. After a century in Manalapan's Old Tennent Church, the congregation moved to downtown Freehold in the 1830s, laying the current church's cornerstone in 1871. First Presbyterian now holds separate contemporary and traditional services in a Romanesque church at the corner of West Main and Brinkerhoff. Adults and youth can contribute to musical performances by participating in a contemporary praise team or a vocal or handbell choir. First Presbyterian Church offers varied opportunities for fellowship, fun and education to children, pre-teens, youth and adults – including opportunities to help provide food, shelter, companionship or literacy education to the local community.